Existing Medical Preconditions and Risks of Cosmetic Surgery
All existing medical conditions and medical history must be fully disclosed to the hospitals, clinics and surgeons – please note these on the medical form and discuss them during your consultations with your surgeon. Make sure the surgeon is aware of all the medications you are currently or previously taken and if you have had:
- An allergy or bad reaction to antibiotics, anesthetic drugs or other medicine can be caused by existing medical preconditions
- Prolonged bleeding, bad scarring or excessive bruising
- Any recent or long-term illnesses
- A connective-tissue disorder, such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Previous surgery
- Psychological or psychiatric illness
- Do not take any type of aspirin or medicines containing aspirin or anti-inflammatory medicines 10 days before surgery because they increase the risk of excessive bleeding
Please note our Non-smoking policy: Smoking can cause delayed recovery, wound breakdown and increased risk of infection. We strongly recommend that you stop smoking 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after surgery.
Existing Medical Preconditions & Risks of Surgery
The following information is not to alarm you, but to inform you that there are always inherent risks in all types of surgery.
Liposuction in Thailand and its dedicated staff pride ourselves on minimizing risks and complications by selecting the hospitals,clinics and doctors very carefully. Liposuction in Thailand always advises clients to use the services of accredited hospitals and board trained skilled surgeons, physicians and nurses to carry out all procedures.
However, despite the highest standards, complications can occur especially with patients who have an existing medical preconditions. They are rare, and most patients will not have complications, but if you have concerns about possible complications, please discuss these existing medical preconditions with your doctor.
The less common complications of all surgery includes:
- Bruising and swelling – usually settles after 1-2 weeks, but sometimes can take up to month or more
- Wounds may take longer to heal, there may be some bleeding and infection may require treatment with antibiotics
- A chest infection may develop after general anesthetic
- In extremely rare cases, a blood clot may develop, which could be risky if it moves to the heart, brain or lungs
- A sore throat may develop after breathing through the breathing tube used during anesthesia
- In few cases, pink surgical scars can develop. They are raised and irregularly shaped. These flatten and disappear over time.
Existing Medical Preconditions for High risk patients
The risks of complications existing medical preconditions and having to have corrective surgery increase with:
- Stem Cell Diabetes Treatment
- Poor circulation
- Heart, lung or liver problems
- If you smoke or have nicorette patches
- If you have a family history of blood clotting
- If you have more than 1 procedure
- If you are over 50 years
- If you are over a BMI of 30
- If you depart from surgeon’s care or Thailand before you are completely healed
Specific Risks Associated with Artificial Breast Implants
- Capsular formation – a fibrous layer that the body forms naturally around a foreign body such as a breast implant – may harden and contract, distorting the shape and feel of the breast. In rare cases, the capsule will need to be removed and the implant replaced. Newer implants have reduced this problem.
- Nipple sensation can be affected following breast enlargement, with some women reporting an increase or reduction in the nipple. These changes are often temporary, but in rare cases can be long term.
- Using modern implants, the chance of implants leaking or breaking is very rare. However, if this does occur, the look of the breasts may change in shape or feel, which may require removal of the implant.
- Skin ripples and wrinkles may form and appear on the skin near the implant.
The shape and size of the breasts before surgery will influence the outcome, and the surgeon cannot guarantee that the shape and size will be the same after.
There is no evidence to suggest that women with implants are at a greater risk of breast cancer or that detection of cancer is delayed.
Breast implants do not affect your ability to breast feed and there is no evidence to suggest any health risks to the child.
Specific Risks of Abdominoplasty and weight loss surgery Thailand
- Infection – Infection is unusual after this type of surgery. Should an infection occur, treatment including antibiotics or additional surgery may be necessary. There is a greater risk of infection when body contouring procedures are performed in conjunction with abdominal surgical procedures.
- Change in skin sensation- Diminished (or loss of) skin sensation in the lower abdominal area may not totally resolve after abdominoplasty.
- Skin contour irregularities- Contour irregularities and depressions may occur after abdominoplasty. Visible and palpable wrinkling of skin can occur.
- Skin scarring – Excessive scarring is uncommon. In rare cases, abnormal scars may result. Scars may be unattractive and of different color than surrounding skin. Additional treatments including surgery may be necessary to treat abnormal scarring. It is important to understand that in a full abdominoplasty, the scar may reach from one hip to the other. The surgeon will plan to make the incisions below the bikini line, however this cannot be guaranteed, as the incisions will be different from person to person, according to how they will get the best results.
- Asymmetry- Symmetrical body appearance may not result from abdominoplasty. Factors such as skin tone, fatty deposits, bony prominence, and muscle tone may contribute to normal asymmetry in body features. Furthermore, the larger the patient is, and the larger the scar line, the increased chance of having an assymetrical scar line. The solution to this is to tidy up the scar with additional surgery, and sometimes liposuction may also be needed to improve the appearance of the scar line.
Existing Medical Preconditions Tips
You will be given a consent form for your surgery at the time of booking, please read this thoroughly. If you do not agree with any of the risks outlined, please do not go ahead with surgery. If you want to learn more about us. Please contact us if you have any questions or need furthur clarification.
“Recapture your beauty & self-confidence.”